Little Bits of Pixie Dust

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thourougly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!!"

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

What I Have Learned from August

I just changed my calendar to the month of September, and I thought to myself, what better way to sum up the month than to do a little retrospect on my blog? I think that this will be a regular feature each end-of-the-month. So, here is what August has taught me...

NEVER EVER LEAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE IN YOUR CAR.
A* and I learned this the hard way, when we came out in the morning to go to work and discovered that someone had broken into our car and taken the entire collection (over 150) of our CD's. They had also somehow messed with the window, in order to get in, and it shattered into a million pieces. Some, I migh add, landed on my arm and I very nearly got sliced. The shattered window leads to the second thing that I learned.

A* CAN FIX A CAR WINDOW, JUST NOT THAT WELL
Poor A*, he tries so hard. He decided that it would be cheaper to get a window and put it in himself, rather than pay someone to do it. So he got a really good deal, and was very excited. He spent all morning putting it in, and was so cute and proud when he picked me up and could show off his handywork. However, on the way home from dinner last night, I made the mistake of rolling down the window a crack, and it got stuck that way. A* managed to get it to go back up, but he told me not to roll down the window anymore, "just to be safe". He is going to find the right size window this weekend, and try it again.

MANY, MANY COCKTAILS DO NOT MAKE A RIGHT
In fact, they make a very big wrong, as I discovered on A*'s birthday, as I was leaning over a bridge by the side of the road throwing up stuff that I ate in the third grade. You would think by this time I would know my limit, but no, I just go sailing right past it. I race past tipsy, quickly meet up with buzzed, wave a hello to drunk, and settle down into inebriated, every single time.

I WORK IN A FREAKING PRISON
I know, I know, I've said this before, but yesterday I was written up for~ A.) Talking. B.) Personal phone calls and C.) Using the Internet for non-work related things. Okay, first of all I don't sit out here talking to myself, I am obviously talking to other people, and I am the only one who ever gets in trouble. Second of all, my mom HAD to call me yesterday and tell me the latest family gossip. So what if it took up 25 minutes of my time? I was still working. Third, well, sometimes I need a break from the same exact thing over and over, and I have to distract myself with internet breaks. I mean, how else would I be able to keep up with my blogging? I think if they read some, they would understand.

WHEN MAKING A CAKE, WAIT FOR CAKE TO COOL BEFORE ICING
I am the first to admit that I am no chef. But for A*, I was willing to make an exception, and tried to make him a fantastic marble cake. First time baking a cake. No one told me that you have to wait before you frost. I took the cake out of the oven and immeditely frosted it. I don't have time to wait for things to cool. So all the icing ran down into the cake. But hey, it still tasted good.

And finally...

BY THE TIME AUGUST IS OVER, I AM READY FOR A BREAK FROM INCESSANT HEAT
I am ready for crisp, cool nights and pleasant days, when you can safetly wear jeans and a sweater and be perfectly comfortable. I know that many will not agree with me, since it means the end of summer, but I don't handle the heat very well, and I am ready for the fall.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Dom said…

    I've bookmarked you too, your blog is a good read, nice style.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home