Little Bits of Pixie Dust

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thourougly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!!"

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

My First Love

Besides Davey Jones from the Monkees, as I watched his show faithfully in reruns on Nickelodeon every day after school. No, this was my first real crush.

His name was Doug. His mom and my mom happened to work together and be great friends, so we got to spend a lot of quality time together. Doug wasn't the most handsome boy in the sixth grade, but he had a large and inviting smile and a sense of humor that was unchallenged by any of our classmates. He wasn't afraid to look stupid, and I think that is what I loved most of all. He was the type of boy to get into our dog's cage and bark at us, just to get a laugh. We used to play all sorts of made up games, games that I was too embarrassed to play with any other friends because I felt like I was too old. Doug didn't care about stuff like that. We played a version of house where we were a young couple in college, breaking up frequently and "driving our cars" which were really Doug and his brother's bikes up and down the street. We played Doug's favorite, doctor. But don't get any dirty ideas... he had these toys called Wrestling Buddies, which are really just dolls for boys, and he would poke holes in them and pull out the stuffing with tweezers, performing surgery and wrapping up their arms in old T-shirts as casts. I was his co-doctor. We also went swimming together, watched movies, and once he even spent the whole week at our house when his parent's were out of town. ** an aside... this reminds me of my most embarrassing moment, which has to do with Doug but I will save it for another entry. **

I was hopelessly in love with Doug until the fateful day when I went to an amusement park with him, my best friend, and his best friend. All was going fine, and we were riding ride after ride, when suddenly Doug pulled me aside. He asked me if I thought that my friend would "go out" with him. I was crushed, absolutely crushed. But I held my head high, watched as Doug and my friend rode the ferris wheel together and held back my tears. They did end up going out together, for quite a while. I was loyal to my friend, though, and put my crush away. I was pretty successful, after a while.

In the eighth grade, Doug's father got transferred and they were moving to Texas. The day before they moved, Doug and his mom came over to say good-bye. Doug and I hung out in the back yard for a while, and then his mom called that it was time to leave. Doug hesitated, then said to me, "I used to have a crush on this one girl, but her mom and my mom were friends, so I never asked her out. But I really, really liked her." Being socially retarded, I asked him who the mystery girl was. He grabbed me unexpectedly, hugged me tight enough to make me gasp for breath, and whispered, "You." He ran into the house and I never saw him again.

Doug, wherever you are, I had a crush on this one boy, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home