Little Bits of Pixie Dust

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thourougly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!!"

Monday, June 12, 2006

$$$$$$$$

Hello Internet! I haven't written in a while, perhaps because A* and I are trying to save money, therefore we have no lives. A* has something up his sleeve that he won't reveal, but I think that it has something to do with our engagement. We have the ring, and every day I put it on my finger and waltz around the house with a huge grin on my face in my pajamas, with my hand extended to admire, but A* wants to propose. So he has some big plan in mind, and I'm sure that this has something to do with his insane desire to save our every penny, but until I know why I am not happy. I am not good with saving.

When I was a little girl, I had an obsession with dolls. Not dolls that you play with, and drag around by the arm and love so much they are missing a head of hair. No, the dolls I loved were expensive porcelain ones, that you set on a shelf and admire but don't play with. I don't know where it came from, but all of a sudden I had to have these dolls. But these being collectors items, they were very expensive... Especially to a five or six year old girl. No matter to me. I would see a doll that I wanted, and I would save and save, sometimes for years, in order to buy it. I stuck all of my birthday money, allowance, anything, into my underwear drawer, and at any given time I could have hundreds of dollars in there. I also had a very large collection of porcelain dolls.

Cut to when I moved out on my own and actually had to start spending money on things such as bills. For some reason, once I had an actual job and the means to have money, I could never hold on to it. My saving abilities went out the window. I wanted a new purse and I needed it NOW, not a year from now. Plus, the gas company doesn't really appreciate the value of a good saver, and always insists that it has its money every month. Go figure.

So in this frantic burst of saving that A* has put upon us, I am not doing too well. He is a black or white type of person. If he says we are broke, we are BROKE. If I say we're broke, that just means that we can only go out to eat once on a weekend, not counting breakfast, and we can maybe go and pick a little something up at Target. So I knew that he SAID we weren't going to be able to do anything on the weekend, but when I got out of bed on Sunday morning and found out that no, we really are not going to breakfast, and this was after I was unable to meet my friend for drinks the night before and everyone that we KNOW had called to invite us to a local festival that we couldn't go to, I was a little upset. A* doesn't get how I just didn't hear him when he explained that we couldn't do anything this weekend, and I don't get how he can deprive me of even breakfast (out... he didn't starve me, I just didn't get to have a nice omelet that was served to me). He says that it will be worth it in the end, but I have my doubts.

It better not be a porcelain doll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home