Little Bits of Pixie Dust

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thourougly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!!"

Friday, November 16, 2012

Hero

Her cool fingers could soothe any fever, her soft voice could take away any nightmares. She could chase away any bad guys, calm any fears. She kissed all hurts to make them better, from broken bones to broken hearts. She was at every game, every meet, every concert, easily picked out in the crowd because she would be the one that was cheering the loudest. She loves to laugh and loves to be surrounded by her family best of all. Her idea of the perfect day would involve food and family, in her big kitchen full of warmth. Most likely she would cook all the food and then shoo everyone out when they tried to help her clean up. She made holiday traditions special; Christmas cookie baking, trimming the tree, coloring Easter eggs and watching the fireworks sitting downtown on the curb. She never forgot to bring drinks for thirsty throats, or band-aids for those little emergencies. She always smelled like flowers and peppermint gum, like sunshine and comfort. The whole world and anything that mattered was in her sparkly brown eyes. Her skin always seemed to have a little shimmer to it, almost like she was magic. Maybe she was. She sang silly songs as well as the popular ones on the radio, and made every outing a special one. She taught compassion, loyalty, honesty, and always stood up for the underdog. Always.


I worry that I won’t ever be able to live up to her, will never be able to be as good as she was. I lose my patience, sometimes I want to be by myself, and I don’t have dinner at the table every night. I worry that he won’t think I’m as magic as I thought she was. I worry I won’t ever, ever be the mom she was. I try every day to live up to her example, but she’s a hard act to follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home