Little Bits of Pixie Dust

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thourougly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!!"

Friday, July 21, 2006

Be prepared... you may need a barf bag for this one

Yaaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!! Guess what, guess what... I am officially engaged!! Can you believe it, because I can't. This may be a long post, and like I said, it is very very sweet, so don't say I didn't warn you. Here goes...

I went to my parent's house on Saturday afternoon, because they were on their way to vacation and I wanted to say good-bye. I also wanted to put on my pitiful face for them so that perhaps they may buy me a present there, because I really really wanted to go but A* decided we couldn't afford it. So I came home afterwards, and there were suitcases strewn about our apartment. "Am I moving out?" I asked A*, thinking he was kicking me out or something. "No," he said, "we're going somewhere. Get in the car." I protested... I couldn't go anywhere, I didn't have any time off at work, I hadn't packed anything, what about the cats, etc. etc. A* assured me that everything was taken care of. Against my will, I got into the car. Since I was driving, A* had to tell me where we were going... and we were going to the beach! With my family! To the place that I love more than anywhere! And it was a surprise! Turns out that A* had already called my boss and arranged for me to have a whole week off. He had called my friend and asked her to come and look in at the cats. He had packed every single thing that I owned, so that I couldn't yell at him when we got there. ("What do you mean you didn't bring my yellow shirt that I haven't worn in six years... I need that!") He had even printed out directions to the beach. It was great.

So we got to the beach and it was wonderful. We camp there, and set up a tent on my parent's campsite. We spent a joyful couple of days tooling around town and splashing around in the ocean. Then Wednesday night, we decided to go for a walk on the beach at night. We took a blanket and sat down on the cool sand. It was beautiful... the waves were crashing and the moon was reflecting just right on the water. No one else was out, and it seemed like we had the whole world to ourselves. We talked for a minute, and I noticed that A* was a little fidgety, but I just thought he was cold. Then he turned to me and said, "You know, we've been together for three years, two months, and ten days." I thought for a minute, then insisted that this was not right. I started counting months and days, and was going around in a big circle, when A* put out his hand. "Stop," he said, "I KNOW it's right." I quieted. "I would rather be here, with you, than anywhere else in the world. I love you so much. You know, we were like two ships out there on the sea... all alone until we ran into each other, and now we're a team. I have never been happier than I have these past three years, and I can't wait to start the next chapter of our lives together. That's why," he reached into his pocket, " myfullnamehereincludingthemiddleone will you marry me?" He placed a gorgeous ring on my finger. I think I may have yelled out YES before he even got the whole sentence out of my mouth. I hugged and hugged him, all the while holding out my hand over his back so that I could watch the ring sparkle in the moonlight. When we pulled away, A* was wiping under his eyes.
"Are you crying?" I shrieked, in my new, LOUD AND EXCITED engaged voice.
"I didn't know I would be so emotional!" he said with a sheepish grin. It was quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen. I, however, did not cry at that time, because I was too busy jumping for joy and examining my finger. A day later, sitting at the beach and thinking, it hit me, and I bawled. "I'm so happy!" I blurted out, and A* smiled at me and put his arm around me.

All in all, I really couldn't have asked for a better, more romantic proposal. I can't believe that he pulled the whole thing off... read my last entry about me being the surprise ruiner, and you'll see what I mean. This is something he's been working on forever. I can't get over the fact that someone would go to all this trouble just for me. I am so glad, and so lucky, that I get to spend the rest of my life with this man.

I love you, A*.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home