Little Bits of Pixie Dust

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thourougly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!!"

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Brawl

I am not a fighter. Let's make that clear... in all of my years, I have never been involved in a physical fight. Now, that's not to say that at one time someone didn't tell me that they were going to beat me up, and then I told one of my tough friends who in turn told the bully if you even mess with D.... but that's another story. I am not a fighter, and today I was involved in a brawl.

I went on my break at work, just like always. As I was leaving the break area, I heard snatches of some loud talking, but I didn't think anything of it because some of the ladies around here can get a little spirited. However, the loudness began to get louder, and I realized that these women were yelling at the top of their lungs at each other. Ignoring them, I went and stood with another girl waiting for the elevator. The yellers continued down the hall. I was praying and praying that they would not get in the elevator with us, but guess what- yeah, they did. By now I am uncomfortably close to these two women who are yelling at each other about "you said this, he said that, I know this..." I was trying to look at the floor, the elevator door, anything to avoid making eye contact with these angry ladies. The elevator door closed, and we were trapped. The yelling escalated. The two other women with me who were not involved were staring at each other and making embarrassed eye movements. Suddenly, there is a commotion at the back of the elevator, and the women (Angry Woman 1 and Angry Woman 2) were in each other's faces. AW1 drew her fist back to pop AW2... and something went wrong in the delivery, because instead of landing a punch square in AW2's face, it landed on the corner of my shoulder.

Yeah, that's right... she hit me!! I was an innocent bystander, but I was the one getting beat! Some of AW1 and AW2's friends were holding them back, and it was at this point that I moved over to the other side of the elevator. I don't know what I expected to happen over in that corner, since I had already been a causulty, but I wasn't thinking clearly. I was still trying to pretend that I wasn't seeing any of this. The elevator finally stopped at our floor, and I ran out of there as fast as I could. I heard a supervisor gasp, "Are those our employees?" as I sprinted past, and I assume that the supervisor broke up the fight.

Of course, then I had to tell the story half a million times, and someone that was in there with me told HR that I had gotten hit, so then I had to tell the story again to the HR person, and then I had to tell it some more when word got out that I was a witness. I don't know what, if anything, will happen to AW1 or AW2, but let's just say that I am steering clear of either of them for at least a couple of weeks.

I am not a fighter.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, that is a crazy story! They must have been fighting over a guy...:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home